Do you remember these much-loved but long-gone Southampton pubs from the past?

In years gone by almost every road had a pub on it – some of them more than one.

Over the past couple of decades dozens of boozers have shut, including those featured in these pictures.

Each served as a focal point within their community and the loss is often lamented by locals. The Daily Echo has gone through the archives to remember some of these important bastions of social activity.

The King George Hotel

The King George Hotel in Oakley Road was opened in 1933 and closed in 2015. The building was demolished to make way for flats.

The Old Thatched House

The Old Thatched House in Romsey Road is a listed building and has outlived its use as a pub. St James Chiropractic Clinic now operate out of the premises.

The Avenue

The Avenue in Padwell Road had been a pub since at least 1869. The watering hole closed in 2015 and was converted into flats.

The Castle

The Castle on Witts Hill opened in 1935 and closed in 2012. The building was one of many pubs to have become a Tesco Express.

The large community pub was at the summit of one of Southampton's highest spots.

The Woodman

The Woodman was located in Coxford Road. The pub closed in 2011 and was converted into a Tesco Express.

There were originally rumours about it becoming an Indian restaurant.

The Bridge Inn

The Bridge Inn, Priory Road existed as far back as 1871 and was closed in 2012. The site is now homes.

The Bulls Eye

The Bulls Eye was situated in Butts Road. Built after the Second World War, the pub closed in 2011 and converted into a Tesco Express.