A grandmother who was stabbed twice by her husband in a near-fatal attack last Boxing Day has praised medics for saving her life. 

Helen Mclaren and husband Ray were at their home in Gosport when a discussion about a Christmas card led to Ray brandishing a kitchen knife from the dishwasher.

"I thought he was going to harm himself, so I told him he wouldn’t see the children and grandchildren anymore,” said Helen, aged 61.

“It's not me that's not going to see them again,” replied Ray, “it's you.”

Ray then stabbed Helen in the arm and chest, penetrating her heart – a time-critical, life-threatening injury. She ran out of the door to her neighbour’s house.

Ambulance and police crews, closely followed by a doctor and paramedic from Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance (HIOWAA) who had landed in a nearby school field, rushed to the scene.

Daily Echo: A Hampshire and Isle of Wight air ambulance rushed to the scene of Helen's stabbing

Indya, Helen’s daughter, received a call from her mum’s neighbour.

She said: “We started driving to mum's and there were blue lights in front of us. It was horrible. I knew it must be bad if they'd called the air ambulance." 

Helen became critically unwell and was given emergency blood and clotting products at the scene to keep her alive. 

She required emergency heart surgery and spent two weeks in hospital.

Her husband was jailed for seven years at Portsmouth Crown Court in July after admitting causing grievous bodily harm with intent. 

“My girls were told they didn’t know whether they could save me or not,” said Helen.

“I was distraught by that. What must they have been going through? Even now we still can't believe it happened.”

Daily Echo: Helen with her daughter Indya ready to celebrate Christmas

Indya added: “It was awful. It changes your whole outlook on life. I know it sounds cheesy, but my life is fuller now. Without the care from the air ambulance crew, she wouldn't be here now. I want to thank them for everything they did for my mum and my family.”

Helen has gone on to raise £2,000 for the life-saving charity through a Gary Barlow and Robbie Williams tribute night.