Millbrook came through an early season test against what is expected to be one of the best sides in Hampshire 1.

West Sussex side Bognor threw everything bar the kitchen sink at Brook but the defiant squad held tight at their Five Acres ground – even striking with a drop goal while under the pressure of being down to 13 players for a spell.

Bognor out-scored Millbrook by four tries to three but had to be content with two bonus points as the home side won 30-25.

Millbrook head coach Mark Randall said: “They came with a game plan to blitz us in the first 20 minutes and we did really well to stay in the game – we even scored first.

“It was quite a nerve-wracking game if I’m honest.”

In a physical encounter Brook managed to get themselves ahead and stay there for the whole game, despite non-stop efforts from the visitors.

The first half saw Mike Thomas, Kevin Cant and Rich Colmer all cross the whitewash for Brook, with Mark Colmer adding three conversions and a penalty.

Bognor scored one of their own after shifting the ball wide and then slotted home a penalty to stay in it 24-10 down at half time.

Relentless attacking from Bognor meant Brook lost their shape in the second half but, despite conceding three tries, they kept their noses in front and Rich Colmer nailed a penalty and drop goal to secure a very hard-earned 30-25 win.

Randall added: “I would be very surprised if Bognor lose many more games this season. They came here to do a job and I would say we were lucky actually. We stuck at it and obviously I’m very happy but it was a tough old game.”

Ellingham & Ringwood can boast early derby bragging rights as they defeated arch rivals and neighbours Fordingbridge RFC 29-27.

It was home side Bridge who looked like claiming victory in their opening Hampshire 1 game of the season as they raced into the lead with three tries. Mat Maynard got the first but was injured as he went over the line and played no further part in the game. Peter Scott struck with the second and captain Harry Hitchin got the third.

The Es kept themselves in the match with a penalty from fly half Josh Butcher and Stuart Pearce went over in the corner.

Ellingham coach Alan Steel made some tactical changes at the break and they seemed to pay off – lock forward Ben Traynor and prop Jonny Dossitt both got the ball over the line and Butcher kicked a conversion and three penalties for a 29-17 lead.

Discipline from both sides went out of the window for a while as three players – two from Ellingham and one from Fordingbridge - were sin binned but Bridge did rally to earn themselves a couple of bonus points - Sam Broderick and Charlie Boyns getting tries.