Romsey are celebrating their first win in almost a year - a desperate run of 16 Hampshire/Surrey Regional Division 2 games without success ending with a long overdue 4-3 victory over Addiscombe.

A late penalty corner conversion by Danny Miles gave Romsey their first win bonus since last March when they beat Fareham III 4-1.

Romsey almost tossed it away, allowing Addiscombe back into the game after opening up a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes, but managed to hold on during a frantic finish.

The Abbeymen remain bottom of the pile, but the victory gives them hope they may be able to avoid an end of season drop into the Hampshire League.

Romsey dominated the opening sequences, playing arguably the best hockey of a long, barren season and taking the lead through Jack England, who controlled the ball on to his weaker side, and lifted his shot over the diving Addiscombe goalkeeper.

Within minutes Romsey were 2-0 up. A long, overhead pass found Zak Cooper, who quickly released Sam Barcia through the central channel to beat the keeper.

Two-nil can always be a tricky lead and Romsey were almost punished by three Addiscombe penalty corners.

But Romsey bounced back and converted a set-piece of their own when Chris Mason neatly finished from the top of the D.

Addiscombe weren’t beaten and cut the gap to 3-2 by half-time through Dan Heayberd and Simon Toms.

Romsey looked as though they might have tossed away their victory prospects altogether when Shane Samuels equalised from a powerful drag flick penalty corner.

The remainder of the game was tense and of fairly low quality hockey.

The Croydon visitors pressed for the winner – but Romsey maintained their discipline and took advantage of their opponents’ overzealous search for a goal and won a penalty corner after two Addiscombe players had been sin-binned.

Danny Miles converted the set piece with a strong flick high to the right of the ‘keeper to make it 4-3.

l Southampton swept to a third successive Hampshire/Surrey Regional League Division 2 win when they beat lowly Camberley & Farnborough 3-0.

Hamble went down 5-1 at HAC.

Southampton University’s Hampshire League title prospects dipped with a 2-1 defeat at table topping Gillingham.