January 18, 2017 (3rd round)

Saints won their last St Mary's FA Cup replay courtesy of a last-minute Shane Long goal.

Long ensured Saints won an forgettable match in front of  a crowd of just 13,517 midway through Claude Puel's season in charge.

Sam McQueen did superbly to just reach a ball and sweep in a cross from the left by-line.

It looked like it might be another moment of frustration as Long headed at McGovern from point-blank range.

But the striker reacted quickest to turn home the rebound from a couple of yards.

Saints lost 5-0 at home to Arsenal in the next round.

Saints: Lewis, Yoshida, Martina, Stephens, McQueen, Clasie, Ward-Prowse, Reed (Romeu 71), Sims, Long, Rodriguez (Redmond 70)

January 14, 2015 (3rd round)

Shane Long has scored Saints' last two FA Cup replay winners. 

Saints were grateful to Shane Long’s 19th-minute winner at Portman Road.

Marred by an injury to Victor Wanyama that put the midfielder out for three weeks, in first-half stoppage time

Ronald Koeman opted to play with three centre halves Nathaniel Clyne forged on down the right and played the ball to the feet of Dusan Tadic, who played an intelligent first time flick inside to James Ward-Prowse.

The midfielder’s first touch was a heavy one that allowed Luke Chambers the chance to get across and put in a strong sliding tackle inside the area but the ball broke straight to Shane Long, who produced a consummate first-time left-footed finish that curled in at the near post

Saints: Forster, Clyne, Gardos, Fonte, Bertrand, Targett, Tadic (Pelle 67), Wanyama (Davis 45), Ward-Prowse, Reed, Long.

Daily Echo:

Saints celebrate Shane Long's winner at Ipswich four years ago

March 1, 2005 (5th round)

Saints trailed after only four minutes on a Griffin Park pitch wrecked by a match involving the London Broncos rugby league team.

Eddie Hutchinson gave the League One side the lead after a weak punch by Paul Smith on the goalkeeper’s return to the ground where he made his name.

But Saints responded in the best way possible – by equalising seven minutes later. Phillips brought down Rory Delap’s high ball on his chest and spun and shot.

Stuart Nelson saved his effort but the ball came out to Crouch, who was on hand to sidefoot home at the far post.

There was a sense at that point that Saints would go on to win easily.

But a Hutchinson header hit the bar and the follow up from Deon Burton was cleared off the line by Calum Davenport.

Redknapp worked his magic at half-time and Saints came out and closed off the tie.

With 67 minutes gone Olivier Bernard broke up play on the edge of the Saints area and set Matt Oakley free.

As he ran into the Brentford half, it was three on three. He pushed the ball out wide to Crouch, who produced a superb cross to pick out Phillips at the far post, and he duly finished the chance. Saints added a third in injury-time.

Substitute Neil McCann crossed and Crouch was again lurking at the far post to turn home his eight goal in ten games.

Saints: Smith, Bernard (McCann 71), Higginbotham, Davenport, Telfer, Jakobsson, Nilsson, Oakley, Delap, Phillips (Camara 78), Crouch.

Daily Echo:

Kevin Phillips celebrates his goal at Brentford in 2005 with Peter Crouch

February 5 2003 (4th round)

Saints had to win in the Lions’ Den en route to their second and last FA Cup final appearance.

Matt Oakley scored both goals a week after signing a new contract.

He gave Saints a 21st-minute lead, rifling in a first-time, left-footed half-volley from 25 yards after Anders Svensson chested down a Paul Telfer cross.

On 37 minutes Millwall equalised against the run of play. A low cross by Steve Claridge was met by Steven Reid at the near post. He scored at the second attempt after Antti Niemi saved his initial effort.

It remained 1-1 after 90 minutes, but Oakley scored the decisive goal in the 12th minute of extra time, firing low through a packed penalty area after a one-two with Svensson.

Relatively straightforward wins against Norwich, Wolves and Watford put Saints through to their first final since 1976.

Saints: Niemi, Telfer, Benali, Oakley, M Svensson, Lundekvam, Marsden, A Svensson, Fernandes, (Ormerod), Tessem (Davies), Beattie.

Daily Echo:

Matt Oakley celebrates his second goal at Millwall in 2005

February 28, 1996 (5th round)

An 18 year-old Matt Oakley scored the first goal in only his fifth senior start.

Only playing because Matt Le Tissier had flu, the midfielder side-footed in the 62nd-minute opener.

Neil Shipperley seized on a defensive mistake to ensure Saints' safe passage into the quarter-finals, where they lost 2-0 at Manchester United.

Saints: Beasant, Widdrington, Hall, Monkou, Charlton, Oakley, Magilton, Venison, Walters (Robinson), Watson, Shipperley.

Daily Echo:

Neil Shipperley scored two FA Cup replay goals for Saints in 1996

February 13, 1996 (4th round)

Saints were 3-0 up after only half an hour of their first match at Gresty Road.

Neil Shipperley scored the first from a tight angle after chesting down a Le Tissier corner and beating three players.

Le Tissier hit the bar before Richard Hall headed in the second from 15 yards. Jason Dodd made it 3-0 from long-range.

But Saints conceded a 52nd-minute header to Edwards and with 15 minutes left Crewe set up a tense finish when Westwood sent a lopping header over Dave Besant.

Saints: Beasant, Dodd, Hall, Monkou, Charlton, Widdrington, Magilton, Le Tissier, Watson (Hughes), Shipperley, Walters.