Daily Echo:

Saints’ first game following the sacking of Mark Hughes ended with a 3-1 defeat at Tottenham.

In a strange atmosphere at a half empty Wembley, Spurs proved to have too much for Saints under the caretaker leadership of Kelvin Davis.

Ralph Hasenhuttl, who formally takes charge tomorrow, watched from the stands as an all too familiar mixture of missed chances and defensive errors cost Saints the opportunity to get anything from the game.

Davis stamped his mark on proceedings by making four changes to the team and going with a positive 4-2-3-1 system.

However, it wasn’t quite enough to bring about an upturn in results.

Spurs were threatening Saints early on and came so close to taking the lead after just three minutes.

Heung-Min Son showed great technique to hit a dropping ball first time on the volley from just inside the area. Alex McCarthy was beaten but the ball struck the foot of the post and cannoned away.

However, Saints were not so fortunate six minutes later as Spurs took the lead.

It was a disappointing one to concede as Saints switched off defensively allowing Tottenham to take a short corner and then failed to pick up Harry Kane who produced a simple near post finish from Christian Eriksen’s low cross.

Spurs continued to boss possession but were playing at a canter at times and so nearly paid the price on 25 minutes.

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg hit a curling right footed shot from 20 yards that Hugo Lloris just got a touch to diving full length to his left to turn it onto the post.

They had another opening moments later as James Ward-Prowse delivered an excellent pass into the path of Manolo Gabbadini but he fluffed his shot in the area.

Up the other end Kane closed in on goal but was just held up and forced into taking a shot which was saved by McCarthy.

The Saints keeper was extended once more turning over Son’s shot from the edge of the box and again from Eriksen.

The second period again started with Spurs flying out of the traps and McCarthy had to turn away a flicked header from Toby Alderweireld to prevent Mauricio Pochettino’s team getting a cushion.

McCarthy was in business again on 51 minutes having to dive to his right to keep out Eriksen’s free kick.

But there was nothing he could do from the corner as the pressure told and Spurs made it 2-0.

The cross came all the way through to Lucas Moura 12 yards out. His first shot was blocked by Jack Stephens but he made no mistake with the second, firing a half volley into the turf and skidding into the far corner.

It got worse on 55 minutes as Spurs added a third.

Matt Targett’s attempted clearance down the left was closed down by Kieran Trippier and the ball broke to Kane.

The striker delivered a dangerous low cross that found Son darting in ahead of Cedric Soares and he had a routine finish from close range for 3-0.

Saints almost stuck back immediately as Nathan Redmond cut in from the left and hit a right footed effort towards goal but it hit the crossbar.

The team looked more positive with the game seemingly out of reach and created a host of chances.

Maya Yoshida had his head in his hands as he couldn’t turn Targett’s dangerous free kick towards goal but rather away from it.

Steven Davis took the unselfish option of squaring to Ward-Prowse when he probably should have had a crack himself and the midfielder’s shot was blocked while Targett blazed an effort well over the bar.

Saints came even closer on 75 minutes as Lloris stopped Hojbjerg’s long range drive and the ball fell to Ward-Prowse but from close range the keeper kept it out.

He then denied sub Charlie Austin with a brilliant stop away to his left.

Saints ended the match with a further missed opportunity as they hit the post but got on the scoresheet in added time as Austin chased down a long ball over the top and buried it in the far corner for a consolation.