May 8th 2016


IT is hard to believe that it is only two-and-a-half years since a Steven Davis brace put Saints on the cusp of the Europa League in what turned out to be Ronald Koeman’s penultimate match as the club’s manager.

Saints were already assured of a top-eight finish, while Spurs knew they had qualified for the Champions League, having missed out on the Premier League title.

But there was no let up. Saints equalled their points tally in Koeman’s first season in charge with this win.

A week later they surpassed it, securing sixth place and a Europa League spot with a fourth successive victory, 4-1 against Crystal Palace.

Koeman would leave for Everton a month later but these were enjoyable days while they lasted.

Spurs took a 16th-minute lead through Heung-Min Son, who played a one-two before rounding Fraser Forster, before Saints equalised on 31 minutes.

Cuco Martina lofted a pass down the right, for the in-form Dusan Tadic. An excellent piece of control, turn and low ball found Davis at the near post.

He flicked the ball goalwards first time and the ball squirmed past Hugo Lloris.

Forster had to make a double stop just before the break, standing firm to deny Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen.

Saints took the lead in the 72nd minute.

Davis played a one-two with Tadic before hitting a low right-footed shot that beat Hugo Lloris at full stretch.

September 9th 2003


The Saints fans present at White Hart Lane will not forget the day revenge was exacted on Glenn Hoddle.

Gordon Strachan’s side extended their unbeaten start to the season to six matches and climbed to fourth in the Premier League while recording a memorable win that persuaded Spurs chairman Daniel Levy to sack Hoddle the next morning.

James Beattie scored twice and took just two minutes and 47 seconds to open the scoring.

His glancing header from Matt Oakley’s left-wing corner cannoned in off the inside of a post and he made it 2-0 before half-time with a 25-yard free-kick that he fired past Kasey Keller and into the top corner.

Kevin Phillips hit the bar from a Fabrice Fernandes cross before Dean Richards scored an own goal for his former teammates, turning in a Graeme Le Saux cross under pressure from Phillips.

Frederic Kanoute tapped in a consolation after subs Darren Anderton and Robbie Keane created the chance.

But it was not enough to save Hoddle, two-and-a-half years after leaving Saints for the club where he remains a legend.

He was sacked after presiding over the club’s worst-ever start to a Premiership campaign with Spurs second from bottom after 11 defeats from 16 league matches.

September 12th 1994


Matt Le Tissier scored twice in the last 15 minutes as Saints won their first game of the 1994/94 live on Sky.

Jurgen Klinsmann scored after just six minutes for Spurs but Le Tissier netted a 75th-minute penalty after a professional foul on Neil Heaney, for which Sol Campbell was sent off.

Le Tissier scored the winner in the 89th minute, controlling an awkward cross from Jeff Kenna, which was missed by Stuart Nethercott, before steering it in.

January 18th 1992


Micky Adams dispossessed a defender before giving Saints a 24th-minute lead with a powerful left-footer.

Ten minutes from time, Iain Dowie doubled Saints’ lead by cracking in a 20-yarder on the turn.

A minute later, Gary Mabbutt set up a tense finish but Ian Branfoot’s side held on for their first win in eight league games.

January 6th 1990


Matt Le Tissier have saints a 29th-minute lead in this FA Cup third round tie after latching on to Jimmy Case’s ball over the top. He then provided the pass for an unmarked Barry Horne to double the lead from a tight angle.

Tim Flowers kept out two Paul Stewart headers but could not prevent a David Howells screamer from halving the deficit in the 78th minute.

Rod Wallace secured Saints’ passage to the fourth round after Bobby Mimms parried a Le Tissier header.

Saints, who were fourth in the old first division at the time, beat Oxford United in the next round before losing 3-0 at Liverpool.