London 2 South-West

EASTLEIGH are still anchored to the bottom of London 2 South West – but it is not for the want of trying.

The battling Bishopstoke Road side have shown their fighting spirit in recent games and it was no different against league leaders Camberley on Saturday.

However the Surrey side just managed to hold on to a one-point lead, to notch up their 17th win from 18 outings, with a 23-22 victory.

Top side Camberley made light work of Eastleigh when they defeated them 70-0 last November and must have travelled south full of confidence.

But the visitors soon found themselves on the back foot – Connor Frain powering through three defenders to go over from a penalty line-out.

Camberley drew level with a similar try but Eastleigh got back in the driving seat as Will Rigelsford drove over and Phil Baldwin added the extras.

The see-saw match was level at the break as the leaders added seven points to their tally. Eastleigh then inched ahead once more with another three points from Baldwin and Camberley came back with their second penalty.

They grabbed the lead with a try in the corner and pulled away to 23-15 with another penalty.

Eastleigh were not about to throw the towel in got back to within a point of their opponents as Arron Enock wrestled the ball off a Camberley player and found a gap for his side’s third try, converted by Matt Lovell.

A late penalty line-out gave Eastleigh the opportunity to claim the spoils with a dramatic late drop goal . Possession was secured and the kick made but it was charged down seconds before the final whistle.

Winchester were also involved in a ‘must win’ game and, like Eastleigh, lost out by a narrow margin.

It could have been different for Winch though who chose the scrum option when awarded a penalty in their opponents’ 22 with the last play of the game.

They lost possession through a knock-on and KCS Old Boys kicked to touch for a 13-11 away victory.

Winchester’s only points over the first 40 minutes came from an early Ollie Dunger penalty – KCS replying with a try from a driving maul and a penalty of their own.

Dunger’s boot got the home side back to within a couple of points and the margin remained the same after a further try from each side - Tom Forster touching down for Winch.

Effingham & Leatherhead put some daylight between themselves and the bottom two by defeating London Exiles.

Gosport & Fareham picked up their eighth win of the season courtesy of a home walkover of Old Tonbridgians.

London 1 South

TOTTONIANS’ Water Lane HQ lived up to its name as the recent rain failed to drain, leading to a postponement of their London 1 South match against bottom club Gravesend.

Top side CS Rugby 1863 beat former leaders Medway 19-10 to create a healthy gap for themselves at the summit which allowed Havant to make a bit of ground in their pursuit for second place with a 43-31 home win over Cobham.