EMERGENCY services rushed to the scene of a blaze in a Southampton flat last night

Around 20 firefighters battled a kitchen fire which broke out in a ground floor apartment in Wessex Lane, Swaythling.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Services sent four engines to tackle the blaze after receiving an emergency call at 7.48pm.

One enginge from Eastleigh Fire Station, two from St Mary's and one from High Town were on the scene.

A woman was treated for smoke inhalation by an ambulance and the stop message came in at 8.47pm.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Services said: "Residents should keep combustibles away from cooking hobs.

"To install a working smoke alarm will give you early warning.

"If you have a fire door fitted to your kitchen leave it in place."