A SOUTHAMPTON woman smashed the windows of a man’s home because she believed his partner had set fire to her mother’s grave.

Armed with a baseball bat, Maddison Geddes went on a revenge mission after she was given information about the person who allegedly desecrated the final resting place of her mum.

The 24-year-old used the bat to smash the windows of the house, in Shinewell Gardens, Millbrook, belonging to the woman’s partner, before using the weapon on the owner’s CCTV cameras.

Appearing at Southampton Magistrates’ Court, Geddes, who also faced a charge of racially abusing a police detention officer, was sentenced to a community order.

The court heard how Geddes turned up at her victim’s home on October 17.

Prosecuting, Julie Macey said Geddes caused a total of £360 damage during her rampage.

In mitigation, Sarah Ridge said Geddes had gone to the house after “receiving information” alleging that the homeowner’s partner had been responsible for an arson attack on her mother’s grave.

She said: “What aggravated matters was that the desecration of the grave was reported to the police and nothing was done about it.”

Ms Ridge added that Geddes had “expressed regret” over her actions.

The court was also told how, in a separate incident, Geddes had racially abused a police detention officer after an arrest in December.

She said the officer had attempted to move Geddes’ back when she used a racial insult against him.

Ms Macey said: “The officer was particularly shocked by the incident, because the defendant is a female with black heritage.”

Ms Ridge said Geddes was remorseful and had since apologised in person to the officer.

She pleaded guilty to one count of criminal damage, one count of racial abuse and admitted breaching a conditional discharge from a previous offence.

Judge Peter Greenfield sentenced Geddes, of Pansy Road, Southampton, who has 22 previous convictions, to an 18-month community order, which included 150 hours of unpaid work.

She was also ordered to pay compensation to the detention officer and the victim of the criminal damage, totalling £210.