A DRUNK labourer who repeatedly punched and kicked a businessman in the head after an alcohol-fuelled fight in Southampton has been given a community order.

Gary Lacey attacked his victim and was said to have “jumped on his head” during the fight in Palmerston Park, Southampton.

A court heard her he also shoved his then-partner during the incident last July, before walking away, leaving the injured businessman on the ground.

Appearing at Southampton Magistrates' Court last week, the 36-year-old was given a community order, which includes a 12 week electronically monitored curfew.

Magistrates previously heard how Lacey had gone out for a drink at city centre bar Yates on July 21 with his then-partner.

While drinking at the Above Bar Street venue, the pair befriended a businessman, who was staying at a nearby hotel.

Prosecutor David Finney said the trio bought each other drinks, and Lacey and his partner left the bar intoxicated.

Mr Finney said the victim then left pub, before spotting Lacey and the woman arguing in Palmerston Park.

Mr Finney said: “He (the victim) said ‘get off her’ and the defendant then assaults him.

"He punches him in the back of the head which causes him to fall over.

"Lacey then punches him and kicks him in the head several times.

"He (the victim) said he thought he was going to die.”

Mr Finney said witnesses also saw Lacey “jump on the victim’s head”, and then attack his own partner, by putting her in a headlock and punching her in the stomach.

Police arrived and spoke to the injured businessman, who is said to have fainted twice in the company of officers.

He was taken to hospital with a cut to his ear and a concussion.

Mitigating, Kirsty Day said Lacey denied jumping on his victim’s head and said he had only shoved his partner, rather than punched her.

She said Lacey, a man previously of good character, was “disgusted” with himself.

Ms Day said Lacey had seen a video of the incident and it had “scared him”.

She added: “He does not recognise that as the person he knows himself to be.”

Lacey, a father-of-two, who currently works as a labourer, admitted two charges of assault by beating.

As well as an electronically monitored curfew, which will keep him at his home in Tatchbury Lane, Winsor, between 9pm and 5am, Lacey was also ordered to complete 20 days of rehabilitation activity requirement.

Lacey was also ordered to pay an £85 victim surcharge and £620 in crown prosecution costs, after changing his initial plea from not guilty to guilty.