POLICE have launched an investigation after a skirmish broke out between fans in the wake of Saints’ FA Cup exit.

Supporters from both sides were seen being wrestled by St Mary’s stewards as the Derby players celebrated their third round replay win on Wednesday night.

The fracas broke out in the Northam Stand, in the neutral zone between the two sets of fans, moments after Richard Keogh slotted Derby’s fifth penalty to seal a 5-3 shoot-out win, following a 2-2 draw.

A separate incident, showing what appears to be a Nottingham Forest fan being removed by stewards, was also filmed by away fans.

But Hampshire Police say their investigation is into the “disorder” incident following the final whistle.

A spokesperson for the force said: “We are aware of some disorder that took place in the Northam Stand of St Mary’s Stadium following the winning penalty.

“Officers are making enquiries. No arrests have been made.”

The club has also confirmed it will assist the police in their investigation.

A Saints spokesman said: “The minor incident was dealt with as quickly as possible on the night and, as ever, the club is working with Hampshire Constabulary to resolve the matter.”

English football’s governing body, the Football Association, has also confirmed it is aware of the matter.

A spokesperson added: “We are liaising with the police.”

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Derby County Football Club said it did not feel the need to comment as no visiting fans were ejected from the stadium.

Stuart Armstrong had put Saints 1-0 up on 68 minutes when Scott Malone goal line clearance rebounded to the midfielder, who headed into an empty net.

Just minutes later, Jack Stephens played a brilliant ball out from the back to Nathan Redmond and the attacker charged onto it and finished past the advancing Kelle Roos.

But Championship Derby struck back on 76 minutes as Harry Wilson’s inswinging left footed free kick from the right side of the area went into the far corner without a touch.

Martyn Waghorn then equalised on 82 minutes with a header from a pin-point Wilson cross.

After a goalless 30 minutes of extra time, the tie went to penalties.

Redmond was the only player to miss in the shoot-out, as Derby triumphed 5-3 to set up a fourth round tie with Accrington Stanley.

Saints now host Everton in the Premier League on Saturday.