A NEW hunt has been launched by police investigating the murder of Southampton school-girl Lucy McHugh.

Police are carrying out new searches at Southampton Sports Centre, where her body was found in July.

Officers have now been seen searching the north side of the Sports Centre near Golf Course Road as part of an ongoing investigation into the murder of the 13-year-old.

Officers have cordoned off a section of undergrowth near the Children’s Pleasure Park located in the Sports Centre.

The shrubbery is the border between the Sports Centre and the neighbouring golf course, Southampton City Golf Course.

Daily Echo:

A spokesperson from Hampshire Constabulary said: “We can confirm that we are carrying out new searches at Southampton Sports Centre as part of our ongoing investigation into Lucy McHugh’s murder.

“This is in an area not previously searched.

“We are following a new line of enquiry.”

The Redbridge Community School pupil was found stabbed to death at Southampton Sports Centre on the morning of Thursday, July 26.

Her body was found by a member of the public in a wooded area of Southampton Sports Centre at 7.45am located near to a cricket pitch and the Alpine Sports Centre.

Since the discovery, Hampshire Constabulary have launched a profound investigation into her death.

This includes sifting through 15,000 hours of CCTV footage from more than 250 locations, collecting more than 900 items and receiving more than 200 reports from members of the public.

In August, police uncovered CCTV of the 13-year-old as she walked by a convenience store near to the Sports Centre.

CCTV captured the moment Lucy walked past the Tesco Express store on the coroner of Coxford Road and Lordswood Road at 9.30am on Wednesday, July 25.

Daily Echo:

A video camera also showed her walking on Coxford Road past Southampton General Hospital around 9.25am that same morning.

She was last seen wearing a distinctive black jacket with white sleeves, camouflage leggings, a white vest top and black-and-white trainers.

In July, Stephen Nicholson, 24, was arrested on suspicion of her murder and sexual activity with a child.

He was later released on bail but was immediately arrested after failing to disclose a password to his Facebook account to detectives investigating Lucy’s murder.

On September 1, he pleaded guilty to failing to disclose his Facebook password and was jailed for 14 months.

Anyone with information can call 101 and quote Operation Refund.