TWO teenager girls have been arrested after an ambulance crew were attacked with bricks and glasses as they attended a 999 call.

The crew came under fire as they went to what they believed to be a teenage girl suffering from a cardiac arrest in Eastleigh.

Emergency services sent a rapid response team to Stranding Street at around 5.40pm on Wednesday when they received the 999 call alerting them to the teenager.

When they arrived at the scene the crew were attacked by bricks, glasses, tables and chairs thrown from an upstairs window.

Police were alerted and back up crews from South Central Ambulance were sent to the incident.

During the attack the first responder vehicle and ambulance were damaged and the crew left "extremely shaken".

When police officers gained access to the property they discovered that the initial call out was a hoax.

According to South Central Ambulance police officers did take people awar from the property.

Details of the exact location and time of the incident have not been revealed.

It has also not been revealed whether there have been any arrests.

A statement posted on social media last night by South Central Ambulance said: "It beggars belief what happened to our staff in Eastleigh earlier this evening.

"We received a 999 call informing us that a 13-year-old girl was in cardiac arrest at this property.

"We immediately sent a rapid response car and ambulance but when they arrived they were met by a barrage of bricks, glasses, tables, chair and other items from the upstairs windows - so of which can be see in this photo below.

"We of course informed the police as well as send more staff to the scene as the original vehicles were being damaged and the first responders we had sent were extremely shaken.

"Police officers then had to gain access to the property to confirm it was a hoax call.

"What makes this even worse is that all the staff and the vehicles we sent were diverted from local people in genuine pain and distress with real illnesses, real injuries and real emergencies by our equally frustrated and appalled control room team.

"So if you've been waiting longer for us this evening in the local area, this is the reason why.

"Let's hope the person/people taken away by Hampshire Police from the property are having the largest book at the local station thrown in THEIR direction."

Hampshire Constabulary said officers attended the incident and made two arrests.

A spokesperson added that a 13-year-old girl and a 14-year-old girl, both from Eastleigh, were arrested on suspicion of assault, cause of wasteful employment of police and use of threatening/abusive/insulting words/behaviour to cause harassment/alarm/distress.

The pair remain in custody at this time.