Each year we remember those who drowned on April 15, 1912 when the Titanic having struck an iceberg sank.

Nearly 550 of the crew who drowned were from Southampton addresses. The impact on the town was heartbreaking with many women widowed and hundreds of children left fatherless.

We are reminded throughout the year of the tragedy by the many memorials around the City.

The largest and most prominent is the Engineers Memorial opposite the Cenotaph in Andrew's Park which was constructed by Whitehead and Sons who were responsible for Queen Victoria's statue opposite Buckingham Palace. The memorial was paid for by fellow engineers and friends and shows Glory on the prow of a ship with a wreath in each outstretched arm. Film director James Cameron was so moved by this image that he had the female lead take the same stance on the prow of the Titanic in his film. The engineers remained at their posts ensuring the ships lights remained working. All lost their lives.

Sir Archibald Denny, President of the Institute of Marine Engineers unveiled the statue on 22nd April 1914 in front of a crowd of 100,000. Many of the women widowed by the disaster attended as did shipping company representatives. The memorial had railings in front when first erected and these were removed to be melted down in WW2 and never replaced. Disgracefully in February 1940 red paint was poured over Glory by vandals.

Close by in Cumberland Place is a replica of the Titanic Musician's Memorial which was inside the free library. This building and the original memorial were totally destroyed in 1940 during a bombing raid.

The present replica marble memorial was unveiled in 1990. A further memorial to the Musicians will be found in St Mary's Church. All eight musicians died in the disaster and people in the lifeboats said they could be heard playing right up to the end.

Close by in a memorial garden by SeaCity museum is a slate plaque to local woman Millvina Dean who was the youngest to be rescued from the ship at just a few weeks old and the last living survivor.

Inside the Civic Centre near the Council Chamber is a plaque commemorating the two British and three American postal workers who died trying to save the mail as the ship was sinking. It is made from the metal from Titanic's spare propeller. It was previously located in the Post Office in the High Street.

Nearby is the beautiful and very moving Titanic Book of Remembrance suggested by Jack Candy and produced by the City of Southampton Society.

Along Northam Road is the former Church of St Augustine, now Northam Pentecostal Church, and on the wall of this church were two commemorative oak plaques paid for by the parishioners and listing the men of their community lost in the sinking. These can now be found in a glass display cabinet in the Courtroom at SeaCity.

Inside the church of Holy Trinity at Millbrook are two metal plaques also paid for by the parishioners listing the men of their parish lost in the disaster.

Inside Holyrood Church you will find the Crew Memorial paid for with money collected from the people of Southampton and unveiled in 1915 when it was located on the Common. It was moved to Holyrood in 1972. It shows a relief of the ship and also has the name of Henry Bowyer the Mayor in 1912 who organised the relief fund that eased the lives of the families of Southampton's mariners lost on the Titanic.