They were founded in 1929 when 17 rugby enthusiasts would meet at the Cart and Horses pub in Kings Worthy.

The only shirts stocked by the local shop at the time were coloured black and amber - so this was adopted as the colours for the team.

Up until 1971, Winchester RFC’s home ground was a field rented from a farmer in Kings Worthy, after which they moved to their present 10 acre ground at North Walls Park, off Hilliers Way. The club originally purchased the site from the council for £18,000, and because it was the city’s former dump, the members worked tirelessly to transform it into the three playing fields and clubhouse which sit there today.

The club has grown over the years to include 4 teams as well as a Colts team made up of children from local schools.

Winchester RFC tasted success in 1975 when they beat Jersey to lift the Hampshire Shield. During the 1990s they reached two semi finals and two finals of the Hampshire Cup, taking the title in 1998 and 1999.

In 1999 the team and its fanbase enjoyed their most successful year, winning the League and cup double.