ALTHOUGH there have been changes through the years, much of Winchester has remained the same. If Jane Austen were to take a stroll around around the cathedral or college, she would likely still recognise the layouts of the streets.

Some changes however came from the businesses which adorned the roads, including dozens of pubs which have disappeared from the city over the past century.

The Dog and Duck was well situated in the quiet residential area of Wharf Hill - somewhere which was once a hive of commercial activity.

The pub was part of a trio of popular watering holes which existed within yards of each other. Patrons could start in the Kings Arms on Chesil Street, stroll 30 yards down Wharf Hill to the Black Boy, and then stagger to the Dog and Duck.

The pub was torn down early last century to make way for green space, including a lawn and trees.

Many pubs went the way of being converted into shops, including the New Town Hall Tavern at 160-161 High Street. The establishment closed in 1910 -11 when it lost its license and was turned into a shop.

The advent of the motor car proved fatal to the existence of the George Hotel on the corner of the High Street and Jewry Street. It was considered by many to be one of the city’s finest places to sup.

The George was demolished in the 1950s when Jewry Street was widened to accommodate the growing number of vehicles.

Gone too are not just bricks and mortar but vistas as well.

After the Second world war the city expanded massively, spilling out onto many of the city’s estates, including Winall, Highcliffe, Weeke, Harestock, Teg Down and Badger Farm.

An interesting picture from about 1900 shows circus elephants led to the river near the Durngate and encouraged in.

After travelling for long distances in cages - the cool fast-flowing water would have been a welcome relief to the amazing creatures.

In the background can be seen the city gasworks which supplied energy for light until electricity superseded it in the late 19th and early 20th century.